2023's First Indecisive Moment



Well, 2023, here we are. Stepping into a new year.  

For some, a time to make resolutions or set intentions. For others, just another month in the cycle of life. For many, a combination of both. 

At the start of 2022, I decided I'd work less and live more. And that has pretty much summed up my year since writing that blog post last January. 

And at the beginning of this year, I'm thinking I'll minimize some other aspects of my life. Clearing clutter of all kinds, really. Not just the physical environment, although I've been diving deep into my closets and hauling out boxes for donation, but other areas, as well. 

I began clearing out a good while back and have found that the more I let go of, the more space I have for what genuinely brings joy. I've removed relationships that no longer serve or are detrimental to my health. I've committed to working only on volunteer projects that align with my values. And I have definitely put into action the work less, live more motto. Very good for lowering stress, that one! 

But here I sit, writing this blog post and wondering if this is one of the things to release. I didn't post once after a January 2022 offering and while I often thought about it, I never did make it to the keyboard. 

So, I'm wondering, do I close this blog down? Or commit to finding joy in sharing with all of you in this space? A hard call. 

I have watched many of my colleagues and friends jump onto the 2023 Blog Bandwagon. It seems to be almost an event, as if everyone waited for the clock to strike midnight before letting those posts fly. Among authors and readers, there's lots of new content. I've been reading along and enjoying it all. And my yoga friends, both teachers and students, have been busy creating offerings. Again, I'm reading and smiling. But most of that content seems geared toward promotion. And while I understand and believe in promotion, I'm not thinking that's the direction I'm called to during this stage of this lifetime.

So, then, what to do? 

I first blogged back in the early days of my writing career. My website had a couple of different blog pages, so I could chat about books and writing, gardening, yoga, recipes and cooking...you get the idea. I wrote about whatever happened to be on my mind, forging friendships in the blogosphere and just having a good time. No agenda, no promotion. Just fun. Even now, that memory brings a smile. 

At this crossroads, I'm left wondering if this blog should be part of my minimizing and deleted. I haven't posted in a year, so I doubt its disappearance would impact many, if any, at all. For me, it would tie up a loose thread, clear away something that no longer serves. 

Or, since it does bring me joy, if I should go back to writing about the ordinary aspects of an ordinary life. Nature. Yoga. Books. Writing. Travel. Languages. Just basic "stuff" without a goal to do more, sell more, be more. 

In our goal-driven society, the idea of doing just for the sake of doing might seem pointless. But really, can't the "point" be just to bring joy? Maybe. 

As you can tell, I'm on the fence about this. It's easier to purge a closet filled with unused exercise gear than to dismantle an avenue of communication. For me, at least. 

Well then, 2023, here we sit. Wondering which course of action to take. Thinking I'm thinking too much over the dilemma. Certain anyone reading this is shaking their head. 

Shaking my own head.

I wish you all a happy, healthy new year. Whatever your resolutions, intentions, or endeavors, I hope you have a peaceful year filled with lots of joy.

And I mean lots of joy. Heaps of it! 





 

 

Comments

Popular Posts