El Morro Again and Again...and Again


I never tire of walking the six levels of El Morro in San Juan, Puerto Rico. This incredible fortress overlooking the Atlantic Ocean is one of my favorite places, and no matter how many times I visit, every time feels like the first. 

If you're stuck behind me waiting to take Instagram pics while I'm leaning out stone openings contemplating the history of the place, you'd be best served to find another spot for your "influencer" shots. El Morro and I have a love affair that can't be rushed. It's an all-day event and we relish every single moment. 

Let me admit right here that I'm a totally obsessed with construction and this place is a construction lover's dream. Begun in 1539, it took over two centuries to complete. There are archways and hidden rooms galore. Overlooks that demand attention. Walls so thick you can stand on one side and scream until your eyes feel like they'll pop right out of your head while someone on the other side barely hears your voice. I know because I've tried, both the screaming and listening parts. 

Contemplating a trip to the beautiful commonwealth? Do yourself a favor and put El Morro on your list of places to experience. Even if you've been there before, go again. It's a spot whose beauty and history can't be absorbed in one adventure. 

And when you're done exploring, head over a few blocks to one of the cute family-owned restaurants for a  cold cerveza and an authentic meal. Take it from me, you won't regret spending a day finding your own way on foot-worn stones. 

Who knows? You might even find you, too, have a love affair with the beautiful fortress. 

Comments

Popular Posts