On the Mat Under the Sun (Almost)


One of my favorite parts of teaching yoga is taking the practice outdoors. I do it whenever possible and so far it's worked out really well. I love being closer to the earth, feeling a warm breeze kiss my cheek, and watching shadows dance at my feet. 

This morning, we held practice outdoors and it was wonderful. No, there were no sultry breezes. No sunshine warming our heads or casting shadows on the mats. Truthfully, the sky sat heavy above us, a gunmetal gray that threatened to slice the clouds and send a deluge. 

That didn't happen, but it sure looked like it might. Savasana seemed especially dicey so while the yogis reclined with their eyes closed I kept my gaze on the sky. 

The sky showed us grace and practice ended without anyone dashing for their cars, holding mats aloft as umbrellas. 

I loved every minute of it. That stormy sky was a reminder that yoga is not about stretchy white outfits, esoteric principles, bearded men hovering above the ground, pretzel-like contortions, or fancy Instagram photos. 

Yoga is a living, breathing practice that reminds us to let go of expectations and find gratitude in every moment of this experience we call life. 

This morning's class? Showing up, practicing, and smiling when we walked down the hill without soggy shoes. All good. Letting go of everything except gratitude for a peaceful hour spent in excellent company. 

I hope you find sunny skies today...and even if you don't, I hope you appreciate the stormy sky and peaceful moments. 



Comments

Popular Posts