Cowboys on the Mind...



When I think about frontier cooking, I get warm romantic mind images of folks settled around a campfire or tucked into a cozy kitchen. I imagine big pots and lots of stirring and tasting. Then, I remember that reality is often much different than an author's musings.

Those frontier families and cowboys needed good, hearty food made with a minimum of fuss. They didn't have grocery stores with frozen food aisles. Limited to what was in season or stored well, meals were just another necessary part of the day. Time to be nourished and catch up on the events of the day.
One of my favorite recipes comes from an old cowboy recipe. I have adapted it a bit but it's still very basic--and nourishing. I hope you enjoy it!
Cauliflower Fritters
2-3 cups cauliflower florets
butter
1 beaten egg
pinch of salt
1T milk
1t flour
Boil cauliflower in salted water for twenty minutes. Drain.
Add a pat or two of butter and mash. When cool enough to handle, form into small cakes.
Combine the pinch of salt, beaten egg, milk, and flour to make a batter. Dip cakes into batter, then fry in a skillet using shortening of choice.

Comments

Popular Posts