Monday Mentions Welcomes Julie Howard



Chatting today with author Julie Howard about writing, books, movies, and The Three Widows of Wylder, her release in The Wild Rose Press' Wylder West Series. 

Welcome to the blog today, Julie! Let's get right to the questions because I know lots of people are looking forward to getting to know you. 

When did you realize you wanted to write? 

I can’t recall ever not wanting to write novels. I was making up little story books when I was seven years old. I had a career as a journalist and loved writing about people, but in the back of my mind I was always plotting my novels. Once my children went off to college, I became serious about writing fiction. I had the time and the “tools” from years of news writing.

Are you a traveler or a homebody?

I love to travel though the past year has been difficult. I’m fascinated by other cultures, history and languages. Of course, I enjoy trying different cuisines too. One of my favorite nerdy things to do when I travel is to explore bookstores and libraries. There are some really beautiful and unique places around the world – there’s something about seeing people who enjoy books as much as I do that makes me feel right at home.

Beach or mountains? 

Both, please! I love clean scents of the ocean and the cool winds that come off the waves. My toes in warm sand, wading in the surf, combing the beach for interesting critters and shells. But I also love national parks like Yosemite and Yellowstone, high in the mountains, with fascinating geological structures. The surprise of seeing a moose or bear is also a lot of fun – just as long as they aren’t too close by!

Do you have any hobbies you'd like to chat about? 

This year, I took up new and old hobbies. The new one is cycling and I ride 10-20 miles most days. There is a beautiful paved river trail that stretches through the city where I live and it’s my favorite place to ride. I see river mink, wild turkeys, eagles and heron, along with lots of people enjoying the outdoors. The old hobby I recently took up again is crocheting, and I’m currently attempting a cable-stitch sweater that should be warm enough for our Idaho autumns.

Do you have a favorite book? 

As one of my characters once said, my favorite books are the ones I haven’t read yet. I have to-be-read piles of books all over my house and they offer so much future pleasure of reading. But this might seem like I’m cheating with the question. Two of my favorites this year are “China” by Edward Rutherfurd (historical fiction) and “The End of Men” by Christina Sweeney-Baird (pandemic fiction).

The Three Widows of Wylder looks wonderfully interesting! Let's hear a bit about it...

The Three Widows of Wylder blurb:


Three women on the run.

After the death of her husband, Clara flees a hanging judge and seeks refuge with her brother in Wylder, Wyoming.

With secrets of her own and good reasons to flee, spoiled and vain Mary Rose joins Clara on the trek to Wyoming. Surely a suitable man exists somewhere.

Emma is a mystery. A crack shot and expert horsewoman, her harrowing past seeps out in a steady drip. She’s on the run from something, but what?

After the three women descend on Wylder, a budding romance leads to exposure of their pasts. As disaster looms, will any of them escape?

Thank you so much for visiting today, Julie. Loved having you on Monday Mentions! 

Readers, find Julie's The Three Widows of Wylder at Amazon and Barnes and Noble

 


Comments

Popular Posts