Uses for a Skillet

 



I love the wild west. Frontier life, rugged trails, untouched beauty, campfires...and skillets. That's right, skillets. 

When I think of carrying all the essentials of life in a saddle bag or even in a covered wagon, I question what I'd pack if I were the one traveling. And every time I consider this, a skillet makes the must-have list. 

A good, heavy cast-iron skillet has so many uses! Why, it could smash a snake with one well-aimed blow. It could also drop an assailant in a heartbeat. And let's face it, a skillet is a go-to for campfire cooking. 

I use my skillet for the last one on that list, although I admit it rarely sees a campfire. 

One of my favorite skillet recipes is cornbread. Recipe follows, and can be adjusted to suit one's tastes. Add some kernel corn, hot peppers, or cheese if you'd like. 

Happy trails! 

Skillet Cornbread
1 ½ cups cornmeal
½ cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 t salt
2 t baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 ¼ cups milk (I use almond milk and it works just fine)
2 eggs (or egg substitute to equal this amount)
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Put your cast-iron skillet inside so it heats up.
In one bowl, combine dry ingredients.
In a second bowl, combine wet ingredients.
Add wet to dry and mix to create batter.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Remove skillet and carefully butter sides and bottom.

Pour batter into skillet, place in oven and bake until golden brown. It should take about a half hour. 

Comments

Popular Posts