From the Mat, A Gentle Perspective


 

We're entering the holiday season full tilt right about now. Not all celebrate but those who do often feel overwhelmed about now and for many, that feeling of overwhelm only increases. 

Time to take a step back, perhaps. A conversation I had a while back comes to mind when I think of this holiday frenzy. Where does it come from? Is it partly due to our wanting to do it all, be it all, and have everything "perfect" for the seasonal festivities? 

Hmm...

“Yoga is the practice of tolerating the consequences of being yourself.” – Bhagavad Gita

Recently I had a conversation with a student who feels entirely inadequate in many areas of her life. Sad, actually, because she's wonderfully successful and admired by many, yet she fails to see herself as she truly is. She's fallen into a pit of despair whose origins lie in the less-than-healthy relationship she's been in for the past year. 

Why is it so easy to "see" the failings others project, to scoop them up and hold them close? To give them weight and value, to claim them and allow them to erode self-perception? 

It's wrong. So wrong. 

But it's done, over and over again. 

I had a lot running through my mind, searching for a reply that wouldn't escalate the relationship or self-worth situations she's battling. Believe me, I had some fiery words on the tip of my tongue, but I took a deep breath before I spoke. 

"You're enough." 

She shook her head. "I'm not, really." 

The words I fought, the ones that would give my opinion on her deadbeat, disparaging, obnoxious partner, screamed for release. Again, I took a deep breath. 

"I apologize. I'm wrong. You're not enough. You're more than enough, and until you see that, no one else will, either." 

We talked for a while afterward and when we parted she had a plan for moving forward. I hope it works out for her. 

But the point is, she's not alone in her misperception. So many think they're not "enough" which is a crap mindset. Whatever we are, wherever we are, we are enough. We are more than enough. 

So if you're thinking you're not ready for something or someone, whether it's yoga or another adventure, please think again.

You're more than enough. 

We all areboth on and off the mat.   

Something to remember all year long, but especially now when some may forget just how enough they really, truly are. 

Comments

Popular Posts