From the Mat: Traveling Yoga


 

Pre-pandemic, I traveled a bit. 

Some of the places I went were pretty remote and offered little in the way of gyms or yoga studios. Friends often assumed I'd "take a break" from those things and would make comments to that effect. 

I'd smile. The truth is, they were so far off base that it seemed silly to reply. After all, they were, for the most part, tickled for me that I'd leave behind the day-to-day for an adventure. 

Thankfully, some parts of my day-to-day travel so I never have to leave them behind. 

When I went to Athens, I practiced yoga every day. No, I didn't find a studio. I didn't even bring a mat. No yoga pants, either. 

Just me. And a beautiful city. The perfect combination for some meaningful yoga. 

I practiced asana in the shadow of the Acropolis. 

There is a street that winds below it, with assorted shops to draw tourists in. It's lined with trees and when I was there those trees provided ample shade for a slow, sweet practice. Standing, mostly, because who wants to get dirty knees in Athens? But the liberating peace that arrives with practicing in the shadows of an ancient structure is special. 

I also practiced in a center-city park, where olive trees grew and families gathered. 

There, my asana practice captured the attention of two little boys. They ran over, all smiles, and joined me. It was one of the most fun practices I've ever had. And that sweet pair had amazing balance! 

Of course, meditation and other non-physical yoga practices don't require a mat or yoga studio. We can do those anywhere, anytime. 

But asana? It travels with us, too. 

Comments

Popular Posts